Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cobourg beach sunrise

A couple of Saturdays ago John and I hi-tailed it down to Cobourg beach for the sunrise. Up & attem for
5 am, we were fortunate enough to have a great sky with great clouds. When you get this kind of sky, you really can avoid the nasty lens flare that pops up it's ugly head in these situations. 

First off, the colour tone was really quite beautiful. The way it reflected in the lake made this one of my favorite shots of the day.


Nice calm water really helped capture the pinks in the sky.


I tried to employ the lessons learned from one of our landscape courses. Hyper focal distance and pointing the camera down on a slight angle. Really happy with the results.



Now down to the lighthouse. I was quite amazed at the clarity of the water as you can see here by the submerged walkway. From what information I can find, this breakwater was built in 1850.


There's John, all decked out with his g11 and Canon.


What I really liked about the lighthouse was the character of the stone and the painting seemed to work here.



Lots of photographers will tell you to get closer and lower. In this next shot, my 10-20 sigma lens really came in handy. Climbed into one of the pools of water and used the same tilt technique. Really happy with the DOF and clarity.



 What caught my eye with this next capture was how peaceful it made me feel.




Add in a little foreground interest....



Walking back to the car, I just found that the little details in the dock added to the story...




The town of Cobourg started a revitalization project in the 1980's to transform the waterfront from a haven for seafaring ships and oil tank fields to the marina you see below with upscale condo units. The last oil tanks were removed in 1991 which is when they started the condominium development.



Another great view of the beach front and sunrise



Well that's it. Next up.... Shannonville Raceway

1 comment:

bobjb said...

Randy. You captured a nice morning. I like the low down shots with some foreground to accentuate the depth